Thursday, December 4, 2008

Congratulations to Team Megan's Miracle Workers!!!

My good friend Kim's 15 year daughter Megan was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes three years ago. I met Kim through my volunteer work at CCI. For the past three years, team Megan's Miracle Workers has tirelessly raised funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Tonight, at an awards reception, Team Megan's Miracle Workers was honored for their outstanding fund raising efforts this past year, raising $20,600, the highest dollar amount earned by a family team. Last year, Megan's goal was to raise $10,000, which she surpassed easily, earning is excess of $14,000. Her goal this year was $20,000, which she met as well.

Diabetes is a nasty, nasty thing. My good friend Sharon lost her sight as a result of complications from diabetes. Over the past three years, Megan has worked really hard to maintain steady blood sugar levels. This is a very difficult thing to do in puberty, as raging hormones make this quite difficult. She has ensured many highs and lows, but always maintains a positive attitude and is a great kid to be around.

Congratulations Megan, Kim, Chris, Stephen and Shaun!!! I am honored to be part of your team and hope I can actually walk in the walk next year!!!!

2 comments:

Becky Andrews said...

Congratulations to Megan also. Sounds like a fantastic team. Love your music on your sight - meant to have Kendall listen to it when he stopped home! Go OSU

The Monroes said...

What an accomplishment! I cannot imagine having that discipline now let alone when I was 15!