Friday, May 15, 2009

On the Road to Recovery

In addition to the life decision I made earlier this week, the result of another life decision took place today. A few weeks ago, I decided to have a procedure performed that should significanly improve my ability to breathe.

The forms I signed this morning were for a Bilateral Turbinte Reduction. There are some structures near the end of the nose called turbinites - mine were nearly 100% blocked. I have never been able to breathe well through my nose, and after one look at my CT scan, it was pretty evident as to why that was the case.

To look at me tonight, you would never know I had it done today - we were at the outpatient place for 2 hrs. My anesthesiologist was AMAZING. I woke up feeling fine - and I mean fine. They listened to my stomach, said it was a little bubbly - and told them that may be, but that there was no question in my mind about the fact I was NOT going to be sick. I asked for some water, they gave me some water and saltines. Asked if I thought I could sit up, I sat up, ate some Teddy Grams and drank some Sprite and was out of there 20 minutes later - headed to Bob Evans for my cinnamon pancakes (surgery center is in same parking lot) :)

The only real effects I feel are a little tired from the anesthesia (I slept all day) - and when I get tired, I am a little dizzy. They gave me something before the procedure that made me dizzy - they told me that would happen, and it did. Freaky how that works - they put it in my IV and then about 30 seconds later, I told them it was probably good I was not up trying to walk anywhere. All I really feel is like I am the end of a bad cold - where your poor little nose is really dry and burning. I have been forbidden from soccer on Sunday, but have been cleared to resume normal activity next week. He said in 6-8 weeks I should be a new woman - but I can already tell the difference. I am sure there will be some swelling tomorrow, but it is definitely already better. Adding to my love for my anesthesiologist was the fact that she asked if I was active because I had a nice, slow heartbeat. Love her. :) Also loved the scale there, because it was MUCH more on track with what I thought I weighed than my primary care's scale the other day!

I had to laugh the other day when they called for my medical history - they asked if there was any chance I thought I could be pregnant. I laughed and said no - and they asked if I was sure. The answer I gave and what I was thinking were defintely not the same, but this morning, it was confirmed I was indeed not with child. :)

I would highly recommend this place to anyone in Cbus getting outpatient sinus surgery done. Mostly all they do there in ENT stuff - B said this was where Bryce and Teagan had their tubes done. Kids were crying in pre-op and in recovery, and the only thing I could think of was how scared they must have been...and hoped that my little Bryce and Tigger Bug were not scared when they were there. I hope Mark and B had as good an experience as I did.

Despite sleeping all day, I think we are headed back to bed soon. It was warmed up a little here, and I turned on the AC to ensure a good night of sleep. Thanks for all the good thoughts. Maybe running will be a lot easier now and won't feel like I have a piano on my back!!!


The Tuckers said...

glad to hear that all went well!

The Monroes said...

Here is to breathing better! I am not sure about the piano thing, but I bet it will help in the lung department!

Becky said...

Get well soon - glad that is over for you - what a week, girl!