Friday, June 26, 2009

Oh the joys...version 4

I love my little piece of paradise...it is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last night, while in my office in the basement, I heard this horrible screeching sound. I walked into the living area in the basement, and realized it was my air conditioning. My infamous inappropriate words slipped out, and I prayed that was a fluke. Of course it wasn't - the thing screeched all night, right outside my window. I was a zombie all day. It still blew out cool air, thank God, but did it very loudly - I am sure my neighbors loved me..

Truth be told, I knew this was coming. It was on the plan to replace next year...was just hoping that it would hold out. My brother is doing a job for a guy that works in commercial heating and cooling, and I had gotten a couple of referrals. One of the guys was able to get out here, and confirmed what I already knew - unit was old, did not make sense to dump money into it and that it was very inefficient(my options were to replace the blower motor and bearings for about $400 or replace). I asked for an estimate, and it fell within my anticipated range and they can do it early next week. Normally I would have gotten a couple more estimates, but given the source of it, I feel ok about it. Plus, the guy did not charge me for the service call - told me that if ultimately I gave the work to another company, he would charge me $70, which is actually pretty cheap. Last time I had one of these heating and cooling guys out, it was $100 - that would have been last year's winter, when I did not clip the safety switch all the way closed and woke up to my house being 59. Yep folks, I did that. :) Thought that the furnace died then, but that was my own stupidity. :)

So next week, I will have brand spanking new mechanicals. For the next 5 days, I will cool the house down to the high 60's in the evening; I will then turn the AC off at night so my neighbors and I can get some sleep. Thank god for ceiling fans. :)

What next? I am afraid to ask.....water heater last week, drain pipes and AC this week. Thankfully not much else is left...at least I don't think so. Chelsie needs to get off her booty and go get that job....

4 comments:

Becky Andrews said...

Oh, frustrating! It seems like it happens like that - hope this is IT for a while.

Infrequent Flyers said...

We have an air conditioner (our house came with it), but thankfully, we live in a climate where we only need it about 5 days out of the year. But yesterday and today qualify for 2 out of those 5 days--it's hot! But I can't EVER sleep with the AC or the heater on, no matter how hot or cold it is. I'm such a light sleeper that even when they are operating normally, the sound wakes me up all night long. So I can't even imagine trying to sleep with an AC that screeches!

But you didn't have anything else to do with that money anyway, right?! ;)

The Monroes said...

I hope it gets fixed soon! Thank goodness it was not last week!

The Tuckers said...

I will pray for cool temps for you... we are in the mid 90's this week.... had to break down and turn on our ac last night... it is hot!!!