Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Coming Home...

After three straight weeks of traveling, I am very happy to be coming home tomorrow....esp given that earlier this evening we were under tornado watch here in Indiana. When I left work at 5 30, it was miserable hot and humid with clouds rolling in. A vicious line of storms came in and we had a light show not like anything I had seen in awhile. Luckily, we were inside at dinner while most of this was going on. I also took a quick trip to Petco and B&N after dinner...have a new toy for each of the kids tomorrow to celebrate mom coming home.
While I was gone the first week, I came back to Ace having 4 adult teeth on the bottom and 2 on the top. Last week, we added 2 more adult teeth on top. Who knows what I will come home to this week. He has officially grown out of having his panel in his crate - and needing his panel in his crate for that matter. He is doing very well with housebreaking, and unless he had an accident my mom hasn't told me about, I think we can officially call him housebroken. We are still not ready for him go all day with no potty break, so his auntie Carol will probably come through the end of August - by then, he should be able to go 8 hrs fairly easily. My parents are up in the hood quite frequently, so that will help as well - but for right now, it is just much easier on the mama to know that the puppies will have a "break" in the middle of the day.

Both dogs are doing well. Chel is becoming a little more agressive in telling Ace to buzz off, and will actually lunge at him while pulling her lips back if he has crossed the line - and believe me, he does cross the line! But she also will pick up a toy she knows he likes and walk at him with it in her mouth...and will then engage him in submissive play. For the most part, Ace is doing well also...the boy is a real little YAK in the morning. Brings new meaning to waking up full of himself...not mention the volume factor involved. In his mind, waking up is an opportunity to bark. Loudly. Excessively. Usually, within 15 minutes of finishing his breakfast, he has had at least 2 timeout cuddles with, getting pinned into submission. After that, he is quite happy to chew his bone or lay on the bed. He goes in his crate like a champ, which makes my life a lot easier. Chelsie always HATED her crate, and therefore I always HATED leaving her in it. I don't relish putting Ace in his crate, but it sure is a lot easier knowing he doesn't HATE it.
Both have started class at a new facility called Incredipaws and that is going well. It is hard for Ace because he wants to play with all the puppies! Chelsie has her first 2 day competition since hurting herself this weekend, and I am very excited. Little Space will get to go as well.

In the event anyone cares about the mama (smile - I know you all do) I saw my rheumatologist on Monday...and left him 5 vials of blood, which was swell. I have been MUCH better about taking my medicine, but am still incredibly fatigued. Granted, I have been busy, but this is a different kind of tired. I wear out easily and seem to require naps at a much higher rate than I used to. Clearly, I have new limits that have not yet been defined, but it is very frustrating. The blood tests are simply follow up blood tests to make sure nothing has changed. My elevated antibody counts will be what they were before, but he wanted to make sure there was nothing else involved. My rash is starting to show itself here and there, but nothing to the level it was a year ago at this time. My guess is my bloodwork will come back fine, I will continue to take the medicine and see him again in 6 months. Hopefully, I can figure out what my new limits are, because how I am currently functioning is not sustainable on a long term basis. Yesterday, I came in on a 6 30 AM flight and was asleep by 7PM. Probably won't be doing that in the future!
And now, I leave you all with what you want to of Ace. You will note Ace's is actually his flying disc - which has clearly seen better days. I looked into purchasing a new flying disc for him...the dumb things are $21 at Petsmart. Sorry buddy, you will have to continue to play with your ripped one. Not that you seem to love it no matter what!


Becky said...

Welcome home! I've been thinking about you -- missed you and your comments.

Carrie and Waffle said...

Hey CB
glad to hear that you are putting the little squirt in his place. I find that the young are soooo easy to fool. When ever Truffle steals my toy I used to get all mad and try to get even, but that used to land me in jail. But thank goodness the young are so guliable... now I pretend to be interested in another toy, and when she drops my toy - I scoop it up and hop on the sofa. So easy - keeps me out of trouble and it works everytime.

your blondie dosen't seem anymore on the ball than mine, give it a try.

love and kisses

The Monroes said...

Man you are a busy lady and I love that Ace is into accessorizing!

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

Welcome back, my dear!!! It's been a long haul. I hope you'll get some time to lay low and just hang out with your babies. Glad that things are holding steady for you healthwise, even if they're not being resolved. Ace is so adorable. That's so great that he's fine with his crate!